Thursday, June 7, 2012

quiz make up

David Altmejd's sculptures changed my view on abstract art. There is something about actually watching the process unfold in front of you that can helped me understand him so much more.Altmejd does not add   complexity to his work, he simply lets it flow. His choice in material and color are driven by current moods. At any given moment he can feel clean and attracted to pastels but then he needs to add some sort of "dirt" to it to make it feel alive. Also from what I can tell, Altmejd does not adhere to the traditional meaning behind art. He sees life and rebirth, where many will see decay and death. 
 I can't really say I liked or disliked his work after watching the way he makes it come to life. He has so much passion for the senses, that anything he sculpts seems to strike a cord with me. His sculptures are not meant to be interpreted or have meaning. They are meant to have you feel his process. I can tell he wants to display his process with the amount of layers he adds. While watching him, I also came to notice how much he enjoys ever single step. He touches the plaster in a way I've never quite seen before.  Its almost as if the material itself is alive for him. I do find his creating process very unique. He does not make a sketch of what he wants to do, but simply lets the materials lead him where he wants. He states that he likes how surprising the material can be and can change his result. He works with small mistakes and find the beauty in them. Inadvertently his process parallels greatly with trying to embrace the perfection of the imperfection. He likes those mistakes and knows they are part of everyday life. Again, he simply lets his art take control and nurtures its stubborn nature. 

No comments:

Post a Comment